One of the healthiest appetizers or dishes that you can easily cook and serve for your family and friends is the vegetarian spring rolls. These light and crispy rolls have a vibrant, easy-to-love taste and texture and it has way lesser calories than other types of fried rolls that contain meat.
What You Will Need To Cook Vegetarian Spring Rolls
To prepare for eight servings of vegetarian spring rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 16 large frozen spring roll wrappers (thawed)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup beansprouts (trimmed)
- 1/2 small wombok (shredded)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots (sliced)
- 4 cm piece ginger (peeled then grated)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 50 g dried rice vermicelli noodles
- Ayam plum sauce (for serving)
Easy Steps In Cooking Vegetarian Spring Rolls
1) Boil the noodles and cover for 5 minutes or until they are tender. Drain and then cut them into 4 cm lengths using scissors.
2) Stir fry the garlic and ginger in a pre-heated wok with peanut oil for 2 minutes. Now add the noodles, beansprouts, cabbage, carrot, and bamboo shoots. Then add the pepper and soy sauce. Stir fry the vegetables until they are tender but crisp. Then allow it to cool in a bowl.
3) Put 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mix on the corner of 1 spring roll wrapper then brush the edges of the wrapper with egg yolk. Fold the wrapper over the mix then roll and fold the edges. Then press to seal the roll and place it neatly on a tray. Repeat the process until you make 16 rolls. You can cover the tray properly and put it inside the fridge or you can fry the rolls directly after making them.
4) In a wok, pour in the vegetable oil and place it over medium heat. Once you see there are tiny bubbles forming, you can fry the spring rolls until golden.
5) Place the fried spring rolls in a strainer to drain the oil and then transfer them on a plate with a thick table napkin or tissue paper to further remove the oil from the spring rolls. You can enjoy your vegetarian spring rolls with the plum sauce.